Monday, June 15, 2009

Peace

I grew up in the 60s. I threw a flower power party. We dressed in long gear and tied scarves around out heads. Peace was the word for the season.

What a long way the world has come since that time. Overcome and empowered by the synthetic world of cyberspace, there is no peace. My home is invaded electronically by sales pitches, bad news, messages from people I don't remember, and the unnecessary urgency of having to reply.


Whatever happened to the old saying,
"What is this life, if full of care we have no time to stand and stare?"





Here is quiet and meditation in the mind of a small boy.
What wondrous thoughts are cooking in his head.
Once I told him a great story about a bear who got lost and then his mum found him.
I asked him did he think it was a good story. He gazed thus out the window and absent mindedly replied, "Yes".
As I looked at his face in repose I imagined he was thinking some deep thoughts, so I asked, "What are you thinking?"
In his "grown man" style he answered me, "Nothing".
Now that is peace.





There have been men of peace throughout the history of mankind. There have been wars to force peace, and peace that made wars.
One of the deepest desires of man is to have peace, yet we do not give it to one another. We badger and nark.

One came that we might have peace and in Him alone we can find peace of heart. Do you know Him? He said in John's story of his life, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

1 comment: